Electromagnetic Egress Security Review
Signal Leakage Review – Strengthen Your information Security
Businesses face unprecedented vulnerabilities in today’s busy, city landscape including those resulting from multi-occupancy buildings with common areas, busy foyers and party walls. Then there is threat from outside your building when you consider who nearby cafes, hotels, restaurants and bars may be harbouring? Your organisation could be vulnerable to signal leakage or electromagnetic egress, leaving your critical information there of the taking. An inadequately secured Wi-Fi network can be an open door to the rest of the overall corporate network, undermining all the other aspects of network security being introduced.
Designed to lower your risk and make your organisation and its critical information more secure, Esoteric’s Electromagnetic Egress Security Review allows businesses to understand how vulnerable their premises are to loss of information or attack from opportunistic Radio Frequency (RF) interception.
By surveying the RF environment around your premises, we can identify the vulnerabilities around the following potential vectors:
- Wi-Fi access points – encrypted and unencrypted
- PMR/site radios – security staff, facilities staff
- Radio microphones – presentation suites, lecture theatres
- Wireless presentation systems
- Sensors – alarms, control systems
- Leakage from computer displays, projectors and photocopiers
The Electromagnetic Egress Security Review is formed of two distinct parts:
1. Opportunity to Attack
The first part of the review will assess the opportunities available to a potential attacker to initiate an attack in relation to the proximity of your premises along with the potential time afforded to them to carry out such an attack.
A visual survey where key locations around the perimeter of your premises, including the four cardinal faces/corners, party premises, high footfall locations (cafes/parks) and any accessible foyers or common areas, would be identified and assessed in terms of offering clear proximity and adequate time to infiltrate potential emissions from your premises.
2. RF Egress Review
An RF spectral technical survey, up to 6GHz, would then be taken at a number of the key locations, in order to identify and access any signals emanating from the premises including wi-fi, broadcasts, sensors, microphones, telephones and site radios.
The Electromagnetic Egress Security Review will consider the following areas:
- Vulnerability: How susceptible/exposed your building is
- Detection: A list of signals of interest (SOIs) detected from key areas will be highlighted and tested
- Measure: A measure of signal strengths (e.g. how strong, how much, how often, how far way etc)
- Locate: An assessment of the origin of the SOIs
- Classify: Classification and prioritisation of SOIs
- Compare: A comparison of SOIs with any ‘friendly’ list from previous TSCM activity or ‘known’ list from the client
- Exploit: Can we connect? What information can we glean, etc.?
- Assess: An assessment of how impactful any exploitation might result in
- Recommend: Recommendations on measures to reduce EM egress for highest priority signals
Our TSCM engineers combine technical expertise and on the ground experience to provide you with the most comprehensive EM Egress assessment intended to safeguard against threats and ensure preparedness. Our Electromagnetic Egress Security Review services will help strengthen your information security program.
For more information of our Electromagnetic Egress and Signal Leakage reviews, contact us today.